DP6 Basketball Academy
The DP6 Basketball Academy offers talented players the chance to combine their academic studies with a high-level basketball program. It gives the opportunity for committed and passionate student athletes to build on their individual and team performance whilst studying at a school that will stretch and challenge you to achieve the best grades possible.
The goal of the DP6 basketball academy is to prepare all student athletes for what’s next in their careers regardless of if the student continues in basketball, whether that be gaining scholarships to universities in the UK or in the USA, furthering their basketball careers at the next level.
The ethos of the academy is that the Individual development will always come first, and team success will be the outcome. As an academy we provide weekly individual and team sessions as well as strength and conditioning sessions with experienced coaches.
- Three Team practices
- Competitive Game Schedule in Basketball England endorsed competitions
- Small group individual focused skill workouts
- Strength and Conditioning Program
- Video Analysis
DP6 is a modern campus, completely rebuilt in 2012 and contains the ideal facilities for on and off court development. The leisure centre contains a sprung wooden floor, Perspex backboards, scoreboard, and eight baskets. Also contained within the leisure centre complex is a secondary workout room, a lounge and meeting room and a fully equipped weight room.
The Basketball Academy will take part in a competitive games schedule in Basketball England affiliated competitions. Student Athletes will still be able to participate with any National League club program outside of school hours should they wish to.
Within the first year of full competition, the DP6 Basketball Academy has experienced a great amount of success with the team achieving an unbeaten record during the league as well as having several players making standout performances throughout the year. We have also had several players make their debuts in the British Basketball League for the London Lions as well as others competing in NBL D1 and D3 leagues for the Lions or competing in the D2 league for Baltic Stars.
Headed by former BBL and GB Senior Men’s National Team Coach Lloyd Gardner. A former junior international player, Lloyd transitioned into coaching with the Reading Rockets Basketball Club before moving to Barking Abbey School where he helped turn the program into one of the leading Basketball Academy in the country. At Barking Abbey, Lloyd helped the program to more than 15 national titles and helped more than 100 student athletes onto university level in North America. Assisting Lloyd to lead the program at DP6 is Pierce Maslen, Jordanas Mejeras and Leah McDerment.
Pierce, an ex-player of Lloyds at Barking Abbey represented England/ Great Britain at junior level from u15-18 and was also a part of several titles at Barking Abbey. Then he went to study at Loughborough University and began his coaching career.
Jordanas who is the founder of the successful Baltic Stars club based in East London, has gained more than 12yrs of coaching experience ranging from u8s all the way to senior men’s as well as leaving behind an impressive playing career overseas and studying in the USA.
Leah McDerment who is a current WBBL London Lions player, began her coaching career after her years abroad playing professionally in Germany as well as attending UMASS University in the USA. She also attended Barking Abbey as a junior while representing England across multiple age groups.
For more information on applying for DP6 Basketball Academy please contact – firstname.lastname@example.orgFollow The Team
DP6 Football Academy
The DP6 Football Academy compete in the AOC Sport London Men's Regional Football League E against some very well recognised football academies. They also compete in various cup competitions such as the Essex Cup, National Cup, and the league cup.
Training days are on Mondays and Fridays from 3:00pm – 4:30pm, with game days every Wednesday afternoon. Players who are in the academy are also expected to follow a gym programme that has been created for them. These gym sessions take place in their own free time and are regularly monitored.
Once accepted into DP6, students can try out for the DP6 Football Academy in early September. The head coach for the football academy is Mr Sotoyinbo and is assisted by Mr, Mullings, Director of Sport. There are many fantastic opportunities for the players after playing for the football academy, such as the potential to play football in the USA with a full soccer scholarship, made possible through the company Player Path, owned by Tommie Hession-Harris, an All-American soccer player. He will personally come into the school to advertise the opportunity.
Additionally, the opportunity to going into professional or semi-professional football in the UK is high due to the network available through the coaches, including the likes of Barking FC, May and Baker FC, Ilford FC, Southend Manor FC, Tower Hamlets FC, Fisher FC, Redbridge FC, and Woodford FC.
Barking Football Club
The DP6 Barking FC Academy
- The DP6 and Barking Football Club partnership enables talented footballers to develop sports skills and performance while stretching and challenging academically. This provides the opportunity to pursue global higher education destinations and or professional level playing.
- The Barking FC Scholars Programme will support students with their football development while DP6 supports them with their academic pathway and progression onto higher education.
- Those who are accepted onto the Barking FC Scholars programme will play in the National League Youth Alliance Under 19’s League, have daily training from highly qualified UEFA coaches, receive guidance on football fitness and nutrition and regular appraisals to develop both on and off the pitch.
- At DP6 we understand the demands of balancing football fixtures and training commitments with a study programme. That is why we plan out an academic TT with football commitments already populated.
- We will be able to provide you with transport to and from your BFC training sessions and we will be flexible when your Wednesday fixtures are a far distance. We will provide BFC Scholars with transport via our minibus during the following times –
- Monday break and return Mon lunch time.
- Tues after school Wednesday break
If you are interested in applying for the Barking Football Scholars Academy Programme then please indicate your interest when you complete the DP6 on line application form.
To find out more about the Barking FC Scholars programme, visit their website